Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Experience This Quarter with the PLN

Learning how to create a PLN this quarter has been an enriching journey. As we mentioned in class, this class should be offered closer to the beginning of the JDP--so that we can use the PLN for the whole program. I think the technology bits could be integrated fairly seamlessly into the "Rethinking Leadership" course taught by Dr. Daly in the winter of year 1.

As for the trip this quarter...Twitter is great for staying on top of the issues, and easily sharing news articles, etc. I find with colleagues. I don't like the Android tweetdeck app. You have to scroll too much if you don't check it often enough. Diigo is really awesome--I like having all my bookmarks available no matter what device I'm on. In general, I am working to move everything to "the cloud" since I never know where and when I'll need to access stuff.  So Diigo is great for that. Of course, it is HUGE to have access to my colleagues' bookmarks as well. I need to work on organizing my bookmarks into lists. Room for growth :-)

The blog...not my favorite. I've never been a journal writer. But I certainly see the value in reflection and I'm glad the course was structured to allow us to reflect in this format instead of emailing word docs or posting to WebCT, etc. If I were a classroom teacher, I think the blog format would be a great way for students to do assignments. 

A question for Jeff: you mentioned that your Facebook is personal...what do you do when there are professional Facebook pages you are interested in? Do you have a separate Facebook account? Or just have settings so you can see those organizations'/people's pages and they can't see yours?

1 comment:

  1. Bev,
    Most people with fan pages or organizational pages don't require being "friended" so I can still look at their content without having to share my page. With that said, I think I am going to create a professional Facebook page to share information and connect with a larger network, so I might be able to have the best of both worlds ;-)
    I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete