Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Futurist Scenario Continued

Strengths: A strength of my idea to provide Migrant Ed students with mobile devices is that they can take them to different locations to access the Internet. Also, depending on the device we choose, the price point is relatively low compared to a computer.

Weaknesses: The price is also a weakness, as even $200 per student is a lot.  Also, SDCOE has a lot of regulations when they purchase technology, and I am not sure about the legality of giving devices to students. I wonder if we could loan them? My boss recently mentioned that she does not think providing devices for students is a good idea, because students might move away and not give the devices back.

Opportunities: The opportunity is we could really help students complete schoolwork, as well as give them extra practice using software. Valley Center purchased iPod touches to use with Migrant students over the summer and they experienced success (however, they never left the iPod touches in the homes nor out of sight of a staff member).

Threats: My boss is against providing this type of technology for students because of the risk of loss.  For example, we recently upgraded our staff's laptops, and we are not supposed to loan the old laptops to students. Although I am probably going to do it anyway.

Things I could/should do:

  • visit/talk to Valley Center to see the ways they are using their iPods
  • visit/talk to EUSD to see how they are using their iPods
  • purchase one or two devices and pilot them with a couple of students
  • talk to students about what schoolwork they need to do online and how they get Internet access presently
  • loan old laptops to students and monitor their use--like a pilot

How do I monitor trends?

Currently, I monitor trends by listening to the experiences of families and students. I hear about issues related to Internet access mostly through my staff, as they are in the students' homes frequently.

How do I need to adjust my radar?

It would be helpful for me to spend more time talking to students about what homework and projects they are assigned, and what they do to get it done.

7 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could talk to your students and families about your ideas and the device security problem? They might have thoughts about how they could comfortably assume responsibility. I, however, hear your pain. We get shot down every time we try and talk about providing online textbooks via netbooks that students check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also immediately attracted to the way you monitor trends. Blame it on Susan's comment, but I think this is the area that is critically important to move things forward. The fact that you are involving families in this portion of your theory makes me believe that is the way to go.
    I recall you said something in class with Dr.Lindsey last night about how parent who cannot come to family nights or school functions should be sought out by educational leaders by going to the places where they would normally congregate. In an interview with Kathy Emery, this is how she explained the way any social change has occurred. That is that people are able to get together and talk about those issues that are important to them and that affect their lives and their families and their children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parent involvement is key to social change and to affect the political will to implement new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps seeking a grant or donation of ipods? Have you seen this website?

    http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/sites/sites070.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am at the CUE conference at a session on PLCs. The presenter has mentioned wiki spaces that she uses in her classroom. It might be a space to collect knowledge, ideas, resources, etc. from all of these people who are using Ipods and laptops and other technology in the classroom. It might help you continue the conversation and share resources and converse with people all over the place who are using all kinds of devices.

    The other thought I have is to collect feedback in a more consistent manner than just talking to students. Simple action research in a classroom can consist of surveys asking specific questions about what you want to know, e.g. Estimate how many hours each day you use your Ipod for school work, .....whatever. I have found this type of action research quantitative data collection often reveals surprises and helps me to see the bigger picture in addition to what the students are telling me verbally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beverly,
    I love your passion. Since I am unclear on where you meet with your students, couldn't you provide the IPOD Touch in a forum where you collect them like the other district when you leave. Corporations love to their names published for doing good. Write grants to the AT&T's, Cox's, Verizon's of the world and get those dollars to make those purchases. You might be surprised at the responses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be great to see you succeed with this project. Many of my students don't have access to internet at home, so they come to my room during lunch to do the tutorial in math for additional support and they often share with me how they wish they had internet access at home!

    ReplyDelete