Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Future of Unions

This is an interesting article written by a retired teacher: http://www.city-journal.org/2011/cjc1114ls.html about the imminent death of unions due to technology, blended learning, etc.

My initial reaction is to hate anything anti-union. Growing up, when the teachers would strike, we did not go to school: I was raised to believe in workers' rights. I know that unions have improved work conditions for so many. In my 9 years as a teacher, 4 years were in non-union states. I'm not sure if unions are illegal in Virginia and Texas, but when I worked in those states, the teachers did not belong to a union. The consequences were pretty awful: for example, we were not given bathroom breaks, lunch time, etc. in my Virginia school. Even here is California, working with union protection, the work conditions at times were physically taxing. 

On the other hand, I can see how in some cases unions can get in the way of reform, as described in the article.  But I don't really think blended learning means you need fewer teachers or professors. Who is creating the content, interacting with students, and giving them feedback? In my research, it seems that a barrier to kids' getting the the benefits they need from relationships with educators is lack of TIME, too many students for each teacher, counselor, etc. There is plenty of work to go around, I guess is my point.

2 comments:

  1. I worked in NM for 25 years. There was a union, but no collective bargaining. When you work in the poorest state in the union, and there is no money, there is little for which to bargain. We did get duty free lunch at one point...not sure how. Like you, I do not see how blended learning mean that you need fewer teachers unless it is a factory system where the teacher merely monitors progress and lesson completion. That type of approach is doomed to miss the personal connection that so many people need. Emotions trump cognition. No one remembers the large lecture hall learning experience with the impersonal professor where you were only a student number. And...if you don't remember it, connect with it, and use it, what is the point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right-just because we integrate technology doesn't mean relationships are less important! My brother is in an online program for his bachelor's and he has a TON of in-depth one-on-one contact with professors. There is no reason this should threaten teaching jobs. But as Susan mentioned, educators need to keep up with their PD and be highly qualified for the positions they seek.

    ReplyDelete